3 things I do not miss about India #MondayMusings

Last week, I shared my list of 5 things which I miss dearly about India.

This week, I have put together a list of 3 things which I do not miss about India. This is a personal list.

The semi-automatic washing machine –

I do not miss the whole day affair of washing dirty laundry twice a week having a semi-automatic washing machine for assistance. It had been a real bane involving multiple to and fro transfers from the wash tub to the spinner.

Why did I buy it in the first place? The answer is I was completely brainwashed with respect to its advantages over a fully automatic model. Tell me I was naive.

Thankfully we have a fully automatic washing machine now. Does this sound vain?

school 1

The laundry business. Image courtesy – Pixabay

Another one is also about washing.

I do not miss the rigourous efforts I was putting into washing Dhruv’s 3 sets of white school uniform twice a week. I realised one really needs to be either in love with washing or be in the professional washing business to be able to do this with contentment on a weekly basis.

I spent the whole of the last year in awe of Dhruv’s ability to make his uniform worthy of modeling for the Daag achhe hain na advertisement every single school day.

His uniform, presently, is a yellow T-shirt and a grey coloured pant. Life is easy this way.

Dhruv’s constant complaints about his school in India.

This is a serious one.

Most of his last year passed in complaining about everything related to his school whether it was the loud, screaming and shouting teachers who did not have a single positive word to say to the children in the class or the physically aggressive children in his class and, certainly, the long school hours (almost 8 and1/2 hours including commuting and school time).

If you place a highly sensitive child in an unempathetic school system, the consequences can be dire. As a result, Dhruv and I stayed stressed. He did not want to go to school and appeared depressed nearly every morning.

The school was too big with too many watertight processes in place. Getting to talk to the teachers in person was permitted only on the last Fridays of the month. The school administration was also not too helpful. Even getting through the board number was a difficult deal. I spoke to Dhruv’s teacher about his sensitivity, wrote letters but no solution worked out. He was just one out of 37 in the class.

I can go on and on about the school and make this post only about it. Because you can understand what a big pain was it for both of us. I was all alone to deal with it and often blamed for my inability to make him a fighter.

But, I will stop here.

I am relieved that he is loving his school in Preston. He tells me the teachers, here, treat the children with kindness. He is new in his class, the session is almost getting over, the syllabus is more and advanced compared to what he had studied in India and the rest of his class is ahead of him. Yet, the teachers are patient and are encouraging him positively every single day. He is under no pressure, happily wakes up every morning to get ready, eats his breakfast well and looks forward to the 10-minute walk to school.

This weekend, he asked us if we could go to his school to see how it looks on Saturday evening. This speaks something.

PS – In case, you are based in Bangalore and looking for a school for your sensitive child, you can mail me to know the name of Dhruv’s school in India and can strike it off from your prospective school list.

20180528_160544_0001.png

Linking this post with #MondayMusings hosted by Corinne Rodrigues

17 thoughts on “3 things I do not miss about India #MondayMusings

1. Modern Gypsy says:

Not having to bother with a semi automatic washing machine is a blessing – especially if you were washing clothes twice a week!! And Dhruv’s old school sounds terrible. I hope he’s having a better time there!

2. Esha M Dutta says:

Hmm! Very valid reasons, I must say. The last one definitely more so! What else do you want except a happy child who is eager to go to school. Negativity is the last thing that can help a child in life. I hope he continues to enjoy his school as much and can soon make loads of new friends as well. 🙂

3. Meena says:

I am glad Dhruv is in a school he likes. Just a thought though….. Not all schools are as you describe here. Some teachers are really good and take extra effort to teach and reach out. Just a bad luck that Dhruv’s school turned out the way it did. At least he is no longer miserable. So cheers to that.

4. Nabanita Dhar says:

I love the third point the most.
    Having grown up in a small town, the schools and teachers were so patient, accommodating and they loved us. I’m scared about choosing a school for M and I will need to do it soon.
    So happy for Dhruv!

5. Balaka says:

The school part is a real concern. Indian schools are unempathetic and I have faced it many times especially as my son is moderately dyslexic my challenges are manifold in making him adjust. The only reason I often think of shifting abroad is school. However thankfully this year my son got a good class teacher who understands his problems and encourages him. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck and love to Dhruv

6. Ramya Abhinand says:

namika, i can imagine. I had a semi automatic washing machine, cause someone brainwashed me that with water issues in INdia, this would be the perfect choice. I have upgraded to a fully automatic one now, and lofe has never been more blissful. Your other points make sense too. Its so much easier with a yellow t shirt over a white one.

First of all, tell me how did you buy a semi-automatic washing m/c? Like how? ha ha! poor you. I would have ran away from my house with all that load transfer from one bucket to the other. On the schools, India runs a business. Education means money making. Why do you think there is so much competition and people who pay bribes to get admissions. I am so happy for Dhruv and the fact that in Preston, he is enjoying the process of learning. Touch wood ❤

8. Shalzmojo says:

I was laughing so hard at the washing machine scenario Anu; our third world problems could put world wars to shame 😉 Happy to hear you have a fully automatic one now- enjoy it!!

Dhruv’s school sounds like such a beaten up lame excuse for an education system – but thats the travesty of the Indian education system. Too much glitz, glamour and money wrapped around it without any thoughtfulness. So so happy to know that he is enjoying school in UK – if nothing else this is the best reason for being there. Your move was just for him, I feel.

Looking forward to many Dhruv-necdotes soonest from you!!! Cheers

9. writershilpa says:

Finding a school the kid enjoys attending must seem like a blessing, isn’t it, Anamika? I am glad you did, and I am happy for little Dhruv. I, too, would have felt the same had I been in his place! 🙂