You are the Rebel Girl #MondayMusings

b206dd53a88a716d2a59fccbf51ad8c0_original

Image Courtesy – Kickstarter.com

There is a widely popular book for children these days by the name ‘Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls’. We are also fond of it and every once in a while Dhruv asks me to read a few pages from the book to him.

But as it happens, by the time he finishes reading aloud to me there is limited time left for reading Rebel Girls. Hence, there is always this disagreement between us as to how many pages we will read. We give each other conservative figures and since the bedtime is ticking away in my mind, my conservative figure is way less than his. He would say 10, I would say 2. Owing to the bargaining rule of “Chalo tumhari na meri…“, I end up reading a number somewhere between 2 and 10.

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls is his go-to book for exploring names of countries, quotes by the women, the dates of their birth and death and the names of various professions. Out of all, the most interesting aspect for him is to calculate (which of course I do for him) the ages of the women when they died and whether I was alive then, followed by rest of the people on my side and husband’s side.

We have also used this book for completing one school assignment. For this assignment, the kids of his class had to write a page on a mathematician. Now that he has a silent crusader for a mother, he could not have settled with well-known male mathematicians like Ramanujam and Paul Erdos. Instead, his mother surfed through the Rebel Girls book and found one woman mathematician from ancient Egypt, Hypatia, for the write-up. Was his assignment among the unique ones in the class? I hope so.

He has two favourite women achievers from the book. One is Rani Lakshmi Bai because she is from India and the other one is Jacquotte Delahaye because she was a pirate not from Somalia but in the Caribbean Sea. Somalian pirates are his latest interest and a cause for concern with respect to those travelling by sea routes. The Caribbean was unknown to him but then what is Mummy for? The globe was given a rotation and the Caribbean Sea was discovered.

different-nationalities-2633028_960_720

Image source – Pixabay

A few days later, I heard him proudly educating his father about the presence of pirates even in the Caribbean Sea, referring to the Rebel GIrls book since substantiation is utmost necessary.

Can a book, which is read often, be complete without asking a thought-provoking question?

So, his question was –

Why isn’t there a book called Goodnight stories for Rebel Boys?

I had an explanation about the expectations from girls and women to stay at home and look after the children, family and house. In many parts of the world, it takes rebellion for girls to do things other than this. They have to fight lots to go against the tide and it is not easy. This book brings examples of such brave girls and women for the children.

“Mummy, you are also a rebel girl,” he exclaimed on a closing note.

Now, this was completely unexpected for me to hear from him.

Linking this post to #MondayMusings hosted by Corinne Rodrigues

18 thoughts on “You are the Rebel Girl #MondayMusings

Way to go rebel mama! I loved your explanation. I would have been happier, however, if it were titled ‘of rebel girls’ because the books are about rebel girls but for everyone. I love the way you bargain about the number of pages. That’s exactly what happens with us and I have to give an unusually low estimate because I know I will be persuaded to go a little beyond whatever I set up.

2. Aesha says:

We love Goodnight stories for Rebel Girls a lot too. My daughter loves art so she just keeps te reading about the artists in the book and more than the stories the illustrations fascinate her and she tries to replicate. I recommend this amazing book for every reader across all age groups.

3. Shalzmojo says:

Oh mommy your day is well and truly made!
    I havent heard or read this book Anamika and will look it up to gift it to my 4 year old nephew! It sounds like a fantastic compilation and the name is kickass one too!

4. pockettreasures says:

We read this book regularly with my two daughter. I love your sons question. It is on the lips on my girls lips also that why was it that women are always the ones that are held back and they have to rebel for things that boys get so easy. This book is one of our favorites and gives an appreciation to my girls how many things they have now that others have had to fight mighty for. They also realize how stupid people were/are for holding girls back 🤣

I should buy this book and distribute it to all my little cousins. I am so impressed by how much you can teach a kid through it. You are doing an awesome job by teaching him about women achievers too 😀

6. vishalbheeroo says:

Aha! You Rebel Girl and very well said on the place of women. I am amazed on how such books bring so much knowledge and can educate children in a genderless manner on the achievements of women in our society.

7. BellyBytes says:

Well, I must get this book for my grandchildren. My granddaughter had a book on feminist stories for the girl toddler but I banned this book as it had too many ideas that aren’t really practical or possible……

8. susieshy45 says:

Anamika,
    Great that both Dhruv and you enjoy reading books together. Rebel boys or girls or rebel mothers notwithstanding, it is a world where if you need anything you need to make a point and be distinctive.
    Susie

9. Rachna says:

Oh absolutely! You explained the title so well. And I am really glad that he called you rebel mama. I wish it weren’t so. That girls had it as easy as boys. Sounds like a good book.

Hello, Rebel Mummy! That must have been a proud moment for you, Anamika. I have to look up this book for Kanna. Our bedtime book is now the Harry Potter books. I read 2 pages and if he is very keen, as in begs insistently, then I read one more page. 🙂