Chug-a-chug, chug! What is that sound?
A little red tractor, driving around!
One little puppy is ready to go –
But where’s he off to? Do you know?
One little puppy drives around in his red tractor. He passes by a farmyard, an orchard, a field, a muddy track, a meadow and over an old stone bridge picking up animals from each place on the way. They are all off to have a big barn party at the end of the day with feasting, dance and fun.
What appealed to me?
- Striking colourful illustrations,
- Sing-song style of words, and
- Lots of sounds used in the book like Chug-chug, Toot-toot, Vroom-vroom, Splish-splash, giving the adults the chance to add sound effects while reading the book aloud to the children.
What appealed to D?
- He liked the chunky touch-and-feel tractor trailers appearing on every page through the cut-outs.
- Listening to the sound effects and repeating them.
- Counting the animals as they hopped on to the trailers.
What D questioned?
He liked the book so much that there were no questions about anything.
My observation –
Initially, the plastic tractor-trailer can be disappointing since one might expect it to make some sounds or to squeeze on pressing and it does nothing. Once this little disappointment is overcome, this becomes a delightful read for the little children.
Author: Anna Claybourne
Illustrator: Jo Moon
Release Year: First published in 2009
Publisher: Caterpillar Books (Great Britain)
Age group: 1 – 3 years
Available on: Amazon India
This book is a part of my own collection and was bought from a local bookstore
Linking this post with Literacy Musings Mondays #LMM