Anything but books tag #MondayMusings

glasses-812183_1920_20170710115859183

Image Courtesy – Pixabay

A month ago, Shantala of Shanaya Tales tagged me to take up this ‘About Me’ post where I have to talk about myself but without mentioning books. In my capacity as a blogger, I must have published numerous posts talking about myself. This is actually what I do consistently every Monday with my Monday Musings post. For this reason, I have started declining award nominations where I am required to answer questions about myself because there is nothing more to write. I am, just, out there.

Now, what prompted me to take up Shantala’s tag?

One, I have to be creative to carve out my life without touching the bookish part. Not easy, especially since when the life in questions revolves around books.

Two, the questions are interesting unlike the ones I have seen until now, and

Three, after 15 days of continuous blogging for Bar-A-Thon, I got terribly bored and I needed something to get out of my blogger’s block.

So here I go.

Name a cartoon(s) that you love.

My childhood was marked by 5 cartoon shows – Spiderman, He-Man, Tom and Jerry, Ducktales and Talespin. Out of these 5 shows, I loved Ducktales the most but only until I watched Popeye, the spinach eating sailor. There is one episode of Popeye, I vaguely remember, where he builds different houses one after another but every time the ants come and destroy his houses. At the end, he eats spinach and makes a house of metal and is delighted that the ants could not eat but then it falls down as a pack of cards. How? I don’t know. This was my all-time favourite Popeye episode which I could never get hold of again.

Ducktales, Popeye and most recently Peppa Pig are my favourite cartoons.

What is your favorite song right now?

I do not keep track of new songs and by songs I just mean Hindi movie songs because I don’t know anything else. However, I have a head full of old songs from the black and white era. If you ask me my favourite song, at this moment, as I stare outside the open balcony door from where cool breeze is blowing into the room, the song that comes to my mind is ‘Abhi na jao chodkar ki dil abhi bhara nahin‘ from the movie Hum Dono.

I am sure if you ask me my favourite song another time, I will tell you a different song from the same era.

What could you do for hours (that isn’t reading)?

There is nothing which I can do continuously for hours, not even reading. At a stretch, I can only manage 2 hours of anything, at a time. Still, to answer this question, I would say I have taken to watch short films on You Tube these days. Else, I would spend the same time watching movies on Sony LePlex, my favourite ‘go-to’ channel these days for English movies.

What is something you love to do that your followers would be surprised by?

I am not at all sure if I have left any surprise element about me in the eyes of my friends and the readers of this blog.

Okay. Let me think.

Every one who know me well is aware how much I dislike cooking. Yet, there is something which is not distantly connected to cooking and that is I love to clean, cut, chop, dice and shred vegetables. I keep 2 days in a week when I sit with a decent stock of vegetables and tend to them. My favourite is cleaning the green leafy veggies like methi, chaulai and dhaniya, doing which is akin to pursuing meditation for me.

What is your favorite unnecessarily specific thing to learn about (this can do with books, I guess)?

Unnecessarily specific thing to learn! I hope I get the meaning right.

I like to explore more about other countries, more so the history and the present demographics specifically. Currently, my most recent Google searches are about the Scandinavian countries, also because of the fact they have ranked highest in the list of world’s happiest countries.

What is something unusual you know how to do?

Now, this one you all will find amusing. I have already mentioned above I have a head full of old, black & white era Hindi movie songs. I have discovered I can sing a song, from the 50s and 60s era, for any random Hindi word Dhruv might drop in. Yes, most of the times. Many a times I even surprise myself when I start singing a song I hardly remember having heard at any point of time.

Name something you’ve made in the last year (and show us, if you can).

If you are talking about craft, for one, I will tell you lots, with Dhruv.

But there is something more important that I have made in the last year and that is I have made myself lighter by 6 Kgs and this is a real accomplishment for me. However, this endeavour has not been put to rest as I type out this post.

What is your most recent personal project?

Well, I am not required to talk about books. Since my most recent personal project is related to books, I am forced to keep mum.

I will be making the declaration when the appropriate time comes.

Tell us something you think about often (maybe while staring out of windows).

I often find myself staring out of the windows. And what I think? A lot of things. An ocean of thoughts pass by. I delve upon the need of so many loudspeakers blaring at a lapse of a few seconds or minutes, at each ‘Azaan’ time from the mosques in the neighbourhood. I wonder how close do loudspeakers bring the mankind to God?

I also re-visit the old, happier memories in these moments and smile to myself. I sometimes twist the events in my mind, giving them newer perspectives. I think about how better can I get in understanding the personality and needs of Dhruv.

Give us something that’s your favorite, but make it something oddly specific, not like your favorite food, but like your favorite food when you’ve been studying for hours and forgot to eat. Or, you know, something like that.

When it comes to a specific favourite, I can think of nothing else but of the colour red. I am clear in my choices. If there is anything which I am looking for and is available in several colours, the instant you show me a variant in red colour, I will take it without a second thought ever.

In food, my favourite is ‘Pyaaz ka parantha‘ with a mug full of ginger tea. My Sunday breakfasts are sorted with pyaaz ka parantha. After following a diet plan and mindful eating for whole of the week, this is the saviour for my taste buds.

With this, the questions end here.

I thoroughly enjoyed putting together this post. I hope you also had fun reading it.

Linking this post to Monday Musings

and linky #mg

part-flower-final

24 thoughts on “Anything but books tag #MondayMusings

Oh I love your responses. I love red too (hence the Cirmson Crush!) but I have begun to gravitate to black for obvious reasons. I love pyaz ka piranha too as well as old Hindi songs but I like some new ones too. You lost 6 kgs?? That’s impressive – I’m struggling with 600gms since forever :-(. Good to see you back at keeping your Monday morning tryst with the blog.

2. Nabanita Dhar says:

I loved your responses, Anamika. Knowing you through your posts not mentioning books must have been so hard! I loved a lot of the same cartoons you did. But I do not like chopping and cutting vegetables. And I hate washing greens. But a cup of ginger tea is welcome anytime!

3. Shilpa Halwe says:

Hey, what fun it was reading about you, Anamika!
    Like you, I too enjoy the old, black and white film songs …how timeless those are!
    Hmm, so you love sorting out leafy veggies, haan? Okay, then I am sending over two big bunches of methi that hubby bought yesterday….please do sort them out and send them back to me so I can use them before they are wilted! Hehehe
    It was lovely to know you a little bit more, dear blogger friend! It will be lovelier still when we meet in the real world!

4. Corinne Rodrigues says:

Ha..you really had to control yourself didn’t you? I’m a little concerned about why mindful eating and tasty food don’t go together?
    About loudspeakers, presently we’re being bombarded with loud music for a local festival called ‘bonalu’ and will soon welcome Ganesh Utsav music, chanting and loud shouts. We’re a noisy country and it seems that one common thing we have between all religions these days is loudspeakers! How I miss the days when Aazan was sung so beautifully from the mosques by such skilled people that they didn’t need a microphone at all. Although not a Muslim, it always created a reminder to pray within me.

5. BellyBytes says:

Always happy to learn more interesting things about people. Pyaz ka paratha. Now that’s something I last ate in Delhi almost 30 years ago! This post brought back memories of that night when we had to abandon our flight to Mumbai and hole up with a friend who had packed up everything except pyaaz…..and some atta

6. Mamalife says:

“My favourite is cleaning the green leafy veggies like methi, chaulai and dhaniya, doing which is akin to pursuing meditation for me.”

Can I hire you please?

7. Vinay Leo R. says:

Interesting tag. I don’t know if I can successfully complete it, given that books creep into conversations more often than not! 😀 But will attempt it for the next #MondayMusings maybe.

I can read for hours at a stretch though. I have once read a book completely from cover to cover in 6 hours! 😀 Congratulations on the 6kg weight loss. 🙂

8. shanayatales says:

I loved reading your answers and getting to know you better, Anamika. And I love red too. In clothes, home decor, or anything really, I always gravitate towards red. 🙂

9. Suja says:

Wow. Reading a post with random facts is really fun. I loved the way you presented your answers. It’s a great post for getting to know you better Anamika. Congrats on the weight loss.

10. Lata Sunil says:

Oh.. we are cooking partners. See I hate to do the cooking and I can just about manage a decent meal. It is fun to know you bit more. And let us know your weight loss journey.

11. Ramya says:

Congrats on the weight loss. Unlike you, i hate anything related to cooking. Which is also chopping, cutting, cleaning….. And what is the recent project of yours? Curious indeed.

12. Zainab says:

Congrats on the loss of six kilos. I know it takes a lot of effort.
    I also used to watch spider man & he man, but my favorites were mostly tom &jeryy and Disney Fairy tales!

I loved those cartoons as well.wow you lost so much weight. That’s indeed a great achievement given the fact that it requires so much discipline and hard work. It must be fun for druv to listen you sing, specially for any word that he can drop. Kinda like a game 😀

14. Mithila Menezes says:

Ooh! I want more details about the personal project!

I’m sure everyone who knows you personally would want you in their antaakshari team, right? It’s the first time I’ve heard of pyaaz ka paratha. Must try it out sometime.

15. Sulekha says:

Great interview without mentioning books 🙂 I too am a fan of old Hindi movie songs and know the lyrics to most of them.Congratulations on your weight loss, more power and less calories to you 🙂

Ha ha! Loved your answers. I love azaans. One they are not long and second, they take me back home when I would get up knowing that it’s time to study with that morning prayer. I love parathas – pyaaz or any stuffed one. You know ginger tea is a favourite this side too. I haven’t watched Popeye but yes duck tales was a show my brother and I never missed to watch.
    Fun post and always good to be on this space 🙂

17. Rachna says:

I love red too though I think I am more into yellows. And old Hindi film songs are a favourite of mine. These days, i may love a song but I hardly remember the entire lyrics. But old songs, I do. Kabhi na jaoo chhod kar is a favourite of mine as well. Kudos for your fitness effort. My favourite parathas are gobhi ones, followed by aloo and mooli. Otherwise even plain parathas are satisfying. Enjoyed reading this post!

Oh, you and not mentioning anything about books sounds very strange, to begin with! I loved reading this fun post about you. Before I started, I was wondering what you would be mentioning about in this post, since, as we both know, there are quite a few things in common between us. Needless to say, Old Hindi film songs (and esp ‘Abhi na jao…’), preference for the colour ‘red’, being able to sing any song from a random word, or thinking of a myriad things looking out of the window…these sound uncannily familiar to me. And, of course, how can I forget ginger tea- our perennial favourite?! Nice theme to unravel a little more about ourselves to the world. 🙂

19. Vasantha Vivek says:

Again our fondest love to childhood cartoons matches together. I think we are connected by destiny rather than by blogging. Really enjoyed reading your take on the tag but without talking your favorite books.

20. Shalzmojo says:

Hi five to the ginger tea with paratnhas – be it allo or pyaaz or paneer- or just masala parantha but the ginger te is my elixir too!!

I love red and Popeye is something I havent heard in a long long while Anamika- you made me revist some chidhood memories for sure.

Love your B/W musings from movies and songs too!!! It was good to get to know you a bit better!
    Cheers