7 books which made me who I am #BarAThon 2017 Day 5

wp-1498449391457.

Image courtesy – Pixabay

The weekend is not exactly a good time to write and read blogs for me with Dhruv at home. Now that his time in school has extended and he comes back home at 4 pm, weekend is the only time left to listen to his chattering and stories and to play with him (I do not want to miss any of that). I am not going to talk about the chores here.

Now keeping in mind that my previous post about our 7 favourite picture book authors didn’t do well, I was aiming to write something of interest to the readers for Day 5 but my creative juices seem to have been suffering a drought. As it always happens, when things get tricky I turn to books. So, here is a list of 7 books which are responsible for making me who I am, in this phase of life –

1. Don’t sweat the small stuff by Richard Carlson

This was the first of the books which injected sense into my life. It became the sacred scripture of my life teaching me to have a clear understanding of what is small stuff and what is not. I also gathered the nerves of saying No to people when I didn’t want to do a particular task of their liking or to follow their supposedly right way of thinking.

2. Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho

This book put me in touch with my spirituality. The most important learning for me from this book was to follow my heart and take responsibility for the outcomes without the need to blame anyone else for my failures.

3. Open by Andre Agassi

I have never been into sports or reading about sports persons. Yet, this book found its way to me and I am glad it did. It gave me a gem of a quote – ‘Control what is in your control’ to follow for the rest of my life. Letting go of the uncontrollable needs a life-long practice, though.

4. Letters to Sam by Daniel Gottlieb

As Indians, we care the least about safety. If someone is vigilant about the safety aspects, he or she might be called names for being timid. This book heightened the awareness levels in me about adhering to safety practices, especially when it comes to vehicular safety.

5. Zahir by Paulo Coelho

If books can talk, then this one talked the loudest to me. Actually, screamed. It implored me to begin writing, the thing I wanted to do most over a long period of time. It pushed me with “If not now then when’. And I did listen. I began writing after a year and have not stopped till date.

6. Visa, stickers and other matters of the soul by Lom Harshini Chauhan

Do you know the pain and joy of being different & lost, not being able to word it down to explain it to others the what, how and why of who you are and suddenly a book reaches into your hands, you open it and you are there in the first two pages with the words and lines speaking exactly for you and about you?

This section, where I found the me in me, was ‘About the author’ where she described who she is and what are her beliefs. I sent a message to the author thanking her for articulating the existence of beings similar and identical to her. So here it is. Want to know me completely, read this section of this book.

7. Children books

Adult lives can be highly complex and laden with struggles. Nothing might seem straight or hopeful. Children’s books are the perfect antidote to this situation, The colourful world of picture books illustrations, the simplicity and the happy tone of the stories keep the hopes for goodness alive. This is what happened to me.

wp-1498448356861.

Linking this post to Day 5 of second edition of Bar-A-Thon on the theme ‘Seven’barathon

Here are my other posts for Bar-A-Thon 2017

Day 1 –  7 ways to make your child love reading #BarAThon 2017 Day 1

Day 2 – 7 questions non-readers asked me #BarAThon 2017 Day 2

Day 3 – 7 reasons to have a second child #BarAThon 2017 Day 3

Day 4 – Our 7 favourite picture book authors #BarAThon 2017 Day 4

19 thoughts on “7 books which made me who I am #BarAThon 2017 Day 5

1. BellyBytes says:

Your choice of books truly reveals how individualistic you are. Indeed I haven’tread any of them but will definitely mark them on my to read books as I love your approach to life. Thanks for sharing this list which actually bares your soul to the world

2. Balaka says:

This is a great list…I am happy you mentioned eleven minutes and Zahir, I found eleven minutes even better than Alchemist..Andre Agassi was my favourite tennis player and I love how he maintains a low profile along with his wife Steffi…I loved reading that book…the remaining 4 books am yet to read though.

3. Gleefulblogger says:

I an fan of Paulo Cohelo books, though rest mentioned here havn’t read yet… Books in whatever genre are best for personal growth as well as keeping mind sane. I picked up books to kill alone time in hostel and since then they are my best friends. Though hardly get time to read now with a growing kid, but yes I have a relief they are there for me pick them back anytime. Lovely post.

here’a mine http://www.gleefulblogger.com/2017/06/26/lord-files-barathon/

Sadly I haven’t read any of them but can understand how a book can inspire and motivate you to change perspective and lifestyle.

5. Shalzmojo says:

Loved not only your choice of books but what you gleaned from each- very unique perspective that you have put forth – made me book mark a couple of these as a result of reading your post.
    Eleven minutes is just stunning in its message – that is if one is able to connect with it!!!!

6. shanayatales says:

Interesting compilation. I haven’t read any of these, but am going to look up several of them now. Don’t sweat the small stuff is on top of my priority list. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

Only read #1 and #2 from the list, Anamika, but I can tell they are all great and unique pieces of work that I’d love to read someday for sure. Loved the idea behind this post. I guess all of us can have something unique in listing books that have shaped us. (Am I getting a post idea??? 🙂 Will definitely bookmark your page to refer to for future reading. And btw, I loved your post on 7 fav children’s book authors! It certainly didn’t too as badly as some of my earlier posts did!! 😉

I haven’t read any from your list and I have already got them on my TBR. These all must be so good as you described. I am not a great fan of self-help so I particularly draw my lessons from memoirs or fiction. Your post made me think about my choice of books, Anamika.Thanks for the list!