The Sincere Mumma

“Mummy, were you a good student?”, he asked while I brushed his teeth.

“I was a sincere student”, said I throwing in a new dimension with the new word.

“What is sincere? Is it better than being good?” He could not help without asking.

“Being sincere is good”, I elaborated, “I will tell you an incident from my 6th std. The Hindi teacher for some reason asked the class to come prepared with a 6 page poem ‘Jhansi ki Rani’ for recitation in the class after the weekend. On Monday, the whole class was made to stand on the benches in punishment because none of them had come prepared. ย I was the only one in the class of 40 students who recited the complete poem.”ย  Read more of this post

18 thoughts on “The Sincere Mumma

1. nabanita says:

haha, you are so cute, Anamika. let you in on a secret, I was also sincere like you ๐Ÿ™‚ The little chap is quite inquisitive which is actually really good but I also know it can be draining for you, answering all the questions. I will direct all questions from M to S, I just don’t think I’ll have the patience ๐Ÿ˜

2. Shailaja V says:

You are just getting started on the tough questions. If D is anything like Gy, you have loads of entertainment ahead๐Ÿ˜‰ and my my, you were a sincere student! I’d never have memorised six pages!

That was an excellent example of sincerity, Anamika. I think I can closely relate to your sincerity as it sounds so much like me. I too read this poem in Jaipur in my 6th std, one of the longest poems in Hindi and I had just moved from Kohima, so I was struggling with the language as our Hindi in the NE was way too easy. Surprisingly, I recited that to Arjyo the other day, few bits that I still remember as it used to be my favourite..”khoob ladi mardani woh toh jhansi wali rani thi…”! It’s wonderful that you try to answer all his questions. He is lucky to have a mom as you who takes his every query so seriously. I am finding the questions are getting increasingly tough for me to answer my 12-year-old. Sometimes, I’m totally stumped, to be honest. Since I spend most of the time at home with him, I can’t direct them elsewhere ๐Ÿ˜€

Such a sweet one and like you, I was a sincere student. I have been the only one never baffled by the surprise tests and how much my classmates hated me for being the nerd of the class ๐Ÿ˜›
    Dhruv will see more of his Mum’s sincerity I am sure ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. kalaravi16 says:

“Khub ladi mardani woh toh jhansi wali rani thi” that’s about all I remember from Subhadra Kumari’s super-long poem! And you dear girl are being such a brave and wonderful mom! Kudos to you for your sincerity and dedication as a person and as a mum! I confess, I was never a sincere student, I still pity my mum for having had to put up with me! Love and hugs to you and D ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Uma Chellappa says:

This was such a cute anecdote. I was a bad student and I think sincerity touched me much later, during my high school days and it has gone to stay with me. I like when you say that being sincere is good enough because it means you did try.

7. Shilpa Gupte says:

Take a bow, Anamika! You were a sincere student and now you are a sincere mumma! I loved how patiently you answered your little one’s queries. It speaks a lot about the amount of hard work you put into every role you play in life!
    Love…

8. Maliny Mohan says:

Dhruv is curious. That is what I make of this, Anamika. Let us take everything with a pinch of salt ๐Ÿ˜‰ On a serious not, I admire you for teaching him the value of sincerity and in the process, the importance of being obedient and dutiful. I am mostly the first one to be present in any class and I seldom attend classes without doing my homework. I guess, we share the trait there. Cheers to us ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Elisa Brown says:

I came across your The Sincere Mumma โ€“ the bespectacled mother website and wanted to let you know that we have decided to open our POWERFUL and PRIVATE website traffic system to the public for a limited time! You can sign up for our targeted traffic network with a free trial as we make this offer available again. If you need targeted traffic that is interested in your subject matter or products start your free trial today: http://tdil.co/3p