#Microblog Mondays 11 : I wish…

These days, on numerous occasions I have found myself staring into the infinity and making wishes. These are the kind of things I cannot just stand up and make them come true. Of course they can all be realised only that I will have to put some (or may be lots) of efforts in doing so.

3 of those wishes are –

• I wish to switch to and explore a self-hosted blog address on wordpress.

The cost part needs to be worked out andΒ I am also stuck with the task of migrating the contents and data from the present blog address to the new one. The questions plaguing my mind are – Will it be intricate and complex? Do I have the time and energy to devote to this process?

• I wish to wear sunglasses.

I have never worn sunglasses because I need thick glasses to correct my myopic vision. This means that I will first have to get contact lenses and going by my previous tryst with lenses, they are nothing less than a menace. One evening I was driving back home from work and on the way the lens from my right eye fell off somewhere in the car and I lost it. I had a tough time that day. Thankfully there was still daylight by the time I reached home.

• I wish to go cycling.

We bought a bicycle for Dhruv last week. Watching him riding the cycle (he is doing it with supporters) I also want to do it. I have not ridden a cycle in the last 17 years hence I will have to do some serious questioning with myself if I will really do it regularly or will it get reduced to a brand new show piece in the house?

The good news is with Dhruv starting big school from 2nd week of June, I will get 4 hours of distraction free time every day and then, atleast, I will be able to take care of my first wish.

Do you have any inputs for me on either of the above 3 wishes?

I would like to hear from you in case you had the experience of switching to self-hosted wordpress sites or have migrated the contents from one platform to another?

Linking up withΒ Microblog Mondays at Stirrup Queens.

microblog_mondays

27 thoughts on “#Microblog Mondays 11 : I wish…

1. Puneeta Chhitwal-Varma says:

I would love to know how you get along with the migration, Anamika. That is a question that plagues my mind as well. About #2 go with contacts, without fear! I am blind as a bat but not as long as my contacts are in. I have had an eye infection for a few days (don’t worry nothing to do with the contacts) and not been able to wear my contacts and I MISS them. But if you do will you have to change the name of your blog πŸ™‚

Hahah changing the name of the blog will be a fun thing to do. How about ‘the spec free mama’? It sounds funny my life revolves so much around my specs that with or without them, their mention will always be there πŸ˜€
      Once I am able to do the migration successfully, I think a blog post about it will definitely find its way here.

2. parulthakur24 says:

So your wish of having a self hosted blog is same is mine..I also want to do that but let’s see when. I know it needs hard work and may be I can learn from you when you do it! πŸ™‚
    Coming over to second – I too have a myopic vision but I have been using lenses for over 14 years now so I am quite comfy with them. You need to keep them on to get used to it. and the the cycle! Well, did you check out the pic I recently posted on FB. The only thing that I know how to ride is a cycle. Last year I bought a cycle from my neighbor and then VT and I cycled a lot on weekends. It was fun but the traffic always scares me. So, a month back when I started Yoga after a gap of 6 months, I pulled out my cycle. Now I cycle to Yoga. Though the distance is not much, I like that I can ride in the lanes and avoid the traffic. That helps πŸ™‚ You should try that too πŸ™‚

You did a micro blog and I loved reading it! My comment now almost looks like a micro blog πŸ˜€ Happy Monday!!

The last line sent a smile across my face. I too loved reading your micro blog here. I will definitely post about how did I get it done once I find the time and energy to do it. For lenses I will have to make up my mind since a lot of comments below talk about prescription sunglasses. If such a thing exists in India I am going to go for it.
      Yes I saw your photo with your cycle on facebook and that pic also gave my wish a boost. πŸ™‚

3. Lindsay says:

I have another self-hosted blog on WordPress, and it’s actually pretty easy to do the transfer. They walk you through the first part of it step-by-step and the maintenance isn’t so bad, either. It’s been a while since I’ve done it, so I don’t remember all the details. But if I did it, you can do it too!

Can you get prescription sunglasses? Or is that not possible with your specific glasses prescription?

Thanks for the encouragement Lindsay.
      Prescription sunglasses…I will have to find out if such a thing exists in India since I have never heard of it before.

4. Savannah says:

I finally splurged and bought prescription sunglasses. Its kind of a pain because I have to pack them with me always, so I can switch back and forth to my regular glasses, but I still think its worth it! My husband was jealous, so we did the same thing for him a few years ago.

Thank you so much Mel for writing the post about moving to self-hosted wordpress. I am sure this is going to help me.

5. Jess says:

I don’t know what a self-hosted wordpress blog is… so I’m not much help there. I’d like to update the design of my blog and that has me pretty much paralyzed, so technical advice is not my thing apparently! I love my prescription sunglasses. Can your prescription support those? It’s kind of a pain to switch back and forth between the glasses, but I love not squinting. And cycling! Now that we’re not doing IVF, I can bike with my husband again (we read somewhere that men biking can smoosh the testicles and hurt sperm counts, which were already really low). Do it! Oh wait, unless cycling is “motorcycling,” in which case I am terrified of that too and feel it’s really dangerous. But if it’s thrilling and what you want to do, DO IT! πŸ™‚

Prescription sunglasses, I am going to try them out. I wont mind switching them back and forth between the glasses. And no I was not talking about motorcycling πŸ™‚ it is just about plain cycling. Thanks for visiting Jess.

6. shilarya says:

Go ahead with the first one… I too heard about the technical work associated with it, but I guess as u R getting some extra time for yourself go for it.
    2nd one :one accident should not demotivate U..go for prescribed sunglasses or another set of lenses.
    3rd :- have fun cycling , you are not late at all, infact it burns few cal so go for it .

I will be doing the first one very soon. I am going to try out prescription sunglasses and I think the motivation for cycling will come after having done the first 2 tasks successfully. I am going to take it as a step by step process.

7. torthΓΊil says:

I have prescription sunglasses and really like them. DO NOT get the kind that clip onto regular glasses. I’m sure for many people contacts work too but contacts don’t appeal to me. A bicycle is totally worth it! you can ride it while wearing your sunglasses πŸ˜€

I am so with you on this. Contacts don’t appeal to me either. No clipper for sure. What a fun thing will it be to do – riding a bicycle while wearing my sunglasses πŸ˜€

8. deathstar44 says:

I wear progressive lenses and getting sunglasses with progressive lenses is cost prohibitive. Most of the time I slip sunglasses over my glasses which makes me dorky but at least I can drive without squinting. However, I did find an online site for eyeglasses and I’m pretty sure I can get them from there at a more reasonable cost. Get a bike, it doesn’t have to be the most expensive one and you will be able to ride with Dhruv!

Progressive lenses…this is another idea worth finding about. Thanks for the input πŸ™‚ Dhruv is surely going to give me company on my cycling expeditions. Thanks for visiting πŸ™‚

9. Francene Stanley says:

I don’t use WordPress. My experience with Weebly might help you. I set up a blog for the year 2013. At the end of that year, I did it again for 2014. Of course, along came 2015 so I made a new one, but this time I didn’t name the year. Although I needed to set up new themes and fonts etc. I found the process fairly easy. It took a couple of days. I’m sure you can adapt.

10. pallavi81 says:

I can’t comment on first two but the last one is fun and totally do-able…Cycling works on lower body which may sound like a big motivation…I was not cycling in gym until last Saturday when I used it for the first time (in this gym) and had this realization!! Go for it, girl!! πŸ™‚

11. The Champa Tree says:

Hello! Yes..go ahead with the self-hosted site..That is not going to be complex..Sunglasses..Oh! They look so chic..go for it Anamika. Cycling is fun, get yourself an awesome bike and that’s a sure way to stay fit. Besides, a lady as smart as you wearing an uber-cool sunglasses, biking her way to glory..Now that is such a liberated feeling.. Host yourself well.

12. camanishpurohit says:

Surely an honest post…here’s sending you sunshine and positivity in your efforts to make them true. A small suggestion, start from point 3 and regarding the sunglasses you can get sun-glasses with your myopic specs numbers (I mean the glasses with numbers, no need to first go for lenses and then fulfil the wish). Do give it a try, you will love it πŸ™‚