#Microblog Mondays 7 : When I grow up…

One question which is often posed to young children is “What do you wish to become when you grow up?’

I was also subject to this question many a times in my childhood to which I had developed a template answer “I will become a doctor when I grow up.” My brother’s template answer to this question used to be “I will become a policeman when I grow up.” I call this template because of the consistency we maintained with our answers.

Once a very analytical adult came to a conclusion, in our presence, that all girls want to become doctors and all boys policemen. This did not feel nice to me. It was like my wish had got degraded loosing its value. I never answered this futuristic career question anytime after that.

There is another angle to this story. I got glasses fixed to my eyes in middle school. My much elderly cousins became highly convinced then that I was surely going to becaome a doctor. Interestingly, their conviction was not based upon my grades in school but my bespectacled looks.

And what did we become many years later?

My brother became a software engineer and I am here being the bespectacled mother.

Now it is Dhruv”s turn to answer this question. However, I do not remember anybody questioning him in my presence till now.

A few days back, Dhruv and I were watching a movie on television. The first 20 minutes of the movie was about car races. He had been watching it with full concentration. With his eyes completely glued to the TV he made an announcement “Mummy, when I grow up I will become a car racer.” Now this is something I have never heard before.

Would you like to share your personal story? What did you wish to become when you were a child?

Linking up with Microblog Mondays at Stirrup Queens.

microblog_mondays

21 thoughts on “#Microblog Mondays 7 : When I grow up…

1. Alok Singhal says:

I wanted to become an IAS Officer as a kid, but most of them are corrupt…I am delighted that i did not become one 🙂
    Btw, i wanted to marry a Doctor…that didn’t happen either.

Good to read your story though!

2. BellyBytes says:

One of my nieces came up with a unique answer I’ve heard to date – ” I want to be happy” thankfully she is because she basically is an optimist. I wanted to grow up to be a doctor but am as I call myself a Home Management Consultant. Don’t underestimate the power of a mother – in time you will realise how you are teacher, counsellor, chef, party organiser, chauffeur, fashion designer, manager and much much more than a ‘mere’ bespectacled mother 😉

Thank you so much Sunita for your encouraging words. I would like to settle with becoming a ‘happy’ writer and a ‘happy’ mother down the line.

3. Lindsay says:

I wanted to become a nurse and a teacher. Both! Turns out, I am a reiki practitioner (part-time, doesn’t pay all the bills) and a Reiki Master (meaning I can teach it to others), so I think I captured the healing part of “nurse” with the reiki, coupled with teaching. It doesn’t look like how I would imagined it would as a child, but it makes my soul happy.

You are blessed for it worked for you eventually what you had wanted to become. Doing something which makes the soul happy makes the life easier in so many ways.

4. Mel says:

I was going to research fish. You can see how well that future worked out for me. I was also going to be a doctor. And a writer. Only one of the three came true.

Researching fish sounds interesting. You wished to become a writer amongst other wishes and you became one….I am sure you have worked hard towards it. 🙂

5. ajaybpai says:

hahah! So this is how the pen name was given to you! Boys will be boys, you see! They love the machines from such a tender and naive age. All the best, Dhruv!

I am glad that atleast one person appreciated the not so obvious humour in the post. I came up with this pen name for myself because it is not going to change. And you know there is no budding author in the making.

6. shail says:

I don’t think anyone asked me that 🙂 But I do remember my first born telling me one day, without being asked, that he wanted to be an engine driver. He was 4 at the time and used to be crazy about trains. 🙂

Engines, diggers, cars, trucks and buses are the interests of little boys. My instincts tell me that becoming a car racer is not going to be the end of all. The wish list is surely going to evolve. Thanks Shail for visiting and taking time out to share your thought. Your visit gave me immense happiness because I really look upto you as a blogger. 🙂

I wanted to become a doctor when I was a kid. I had written a post on this sometime back. Kanna’s decision changes everyday. Sometimes a doctor, a fire fighter, and many more. 🙂

I remember that post of yours. You had expressed it so well. And you might be able to recall my story which I shared in the comments section. I think it is much better to have a long wish list so that the child will get to become atleast one of them when he/she grows up. I wish Kanna all the best. 🙂