The Life of a Car

1798

The book we picked up for reading in the past few days was ‘The Life of a Car’ by Susan Stegall.

We are a great fan of Susan Stegall’s works and we are proud to mention that we have read all her works. We love all of them, needless to say.

You can take a boy out of a car but never a car out of a boy. Therefore, you know why does Dhruv like this book.

Related Post: Rattle and Rap

This book covers the life of a car right from its getting manufactured on the assembly line in the factory to being scrapped and recycled. The book contains vivid collage illustrations with minimal words.

20150221_171746

The opening page illustration shows a car designer sitting at a drawing board making a sketch of a car model. With the next page, the car’s life cycle begins. It is the story of a blue Volkswagen car which we got to know in the later pages since the Volkswagen sign is only on the rear side while almost all the illustrations show its front side.

Short sentences like Build the car, Deliver the car, Sell the car, Fill he car, Wash the car, Fix the car and so on describe the pictures.

This book provides room for a lot of discussion with the child with the pictures of the car –

• getting built in the factory,
  • getting transported by a car transporter to the car shop,
  • being bought by a mum with 2 children,
  • getting filled with fuel at the petrol pump (gas station),
  • getting a wash,
  • getting crashed, towed, stripped, crushed and the scrap taken to re-build a new car.20150221_171729

It has been amazing how after many days of reading this book, Dhruv and I continue to discover some or the other finer detail in the illustrations. Like in one of the pictures, he pointed out to a car with a dog in it as Mr X’s (real name withheld) car. Mr X is an acquaintance of ours who is always spotted moving around with his dog in his car. We recognised the ‘No Entry’ sign on the car wash page, a traffic sign seen from our drives around the city. The petrol pump was identified to be as Indian Oil Petrol Pump.

The most amusing page for Dhruv was the CRASH page. I did try to sensitize him about the consequences of an accident or a crash but I do not think it worked. My attempt to keep out the gory details of an accident convinced Dhruv that a visit to the hospital will fix everything like the way his viral fever got fixed. The word crash, everytime, sent him rolling on the floor with laughter and shrieks and his own toy cars going BUMP & BOOM.

This book has got him pretty interested in various aspects of a car.

One day, we found our car with a flat tyre. Dhruv insisted on going along with daddy to see how a flat tyre gets changed. On coming back, he gave me a demo on a toy car (which had a loose wheel from his crash sessions).

“Mummy, look I am changing the punctured tyre”.

Result – That toy car runs on 3 wheels now because the punctured tyre was forcibly pulled out and a spare tyre was nowhere to be found to fix it.

20 thoughts on “The Life of a Car

1. ajaybpai says:

Congratulations! Anamika on celebrating one successful year being a blogger.
    Love the way you narrate Dhruv’s story. Kids are always so innocent and hence he thinks that anything and everything can be “repaired” or “cured” by a visit to the hospital. The harsher realities of life is not known to them.
    May the Good Lord, keep all such harsh realities away from these little innocent kids. God bless.

Thank you Ajay. The success has been to get over quitting from the public space. Being parents, we always pray for our kids to be safe and happy, always. May God bless them.

Welcome Yatin. Thanks for appreciating this post. I would like to invite you to read another post of mine too, the link of which is -https://iknownothingaboutit.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/5-parenting-practices-falling-flat-2/
      Hope you like it as much.
      I saw great posts up on your blog so am hopping over there.

2. Shilpa Garg says:

LOL @ the ‘punctured tyre’. Love the way you are reading books together. You are helping your child to begin a lifelong relationship with the printed word, which is simply awesome. Way to go!!

Thanks Shilpa for visiting and sharing your thought. I have loved reading books all my life and wished to pass on my love for books to my child. There are days and nights when I am too tired but am pestered hard by Dhruv to read a book to him. It seems hardwork on those days but no complaints.

Kids’ innocence give a completely new dimension to how we adults see things. Thanks for visiting Payal and liking our story.

3. Yvette @ BigTrouble says:

This looks amazing – have never come across the author before but have bookmarked for my son’s birthday 🙂 He is OBSESSED with cars (though not as much as diggers…) and when a little older, I’m sure would love this. It sounds like Dhruv completely absorbed every part of it – lovely. “CRASH” is also a favourite word in our house and I do worry I am maybe encouraging it, but (hopefully) it is just a natural part of exploring, playing and car vehicle obsessions!

Yvette it feels great to have you here 🙂 Dhruv was also obsessed with diggers for a long time. At that time we read Susan stegall’s another book -Diggers are coming. Try it and I am your sure your son is going to enjoy it. Just like you, I too believe that this crash and vehicles phase is a natural part of growing and will pass away some day. And now I see another phase dawning. It is the love for guns which I am not too happy about. :-[

• Yvette @ BigTrouble says:

Oh great, thank you. Have looked it up and think it will be a bit hit! It’s on the birthday list 🙂 Ah, I will not be pleased with the guns phase either 😦 No idea how I would deal with it though. Hope it doesn’t last too long… sure it won’t.