The Very Hungry Catterpillar

It has been close to 5 months since I posted in the space of ‘Love for Books’. From this week, encouraged by the Write Tribe pro blogger challenge for posting twice a week, I resume blogging about the children books Dhruv and I read together.

The current favourite is ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle. We have been reading this book night and day ever since this book arrived 1 month back. Oh…I did not realise we have been reading this book for so long.

hungry caterpillar

Our copy

It is a very attractive book with its vivid and colourful collage illustrations and its simple, hopeful story. Even I like to turn its pages again and again.

The story begins with an egg lying on a leaf. In the warmth of one Sunday morning the egg hatched and out came a tiny little caterpillar. Soon he started looking for food for he was very hungry. On different days of the week, beginning Monday he started eating various fruits until Saturday because no matter how much he ate he still remained hungry.

book-The-Very-Hungry-Caterpillar-45th-anniversary-publishing-in-2014-character-art_fruit__holes_line1

The fruits he ate from Monday to Friday.

One apple on Monday

Two pears on Tuesday

Three plums on Wednesday

Four strawberries on Thursday

Five oranges on Friday

saturday

Saturday feast

Saturday was a party day for our dear little caterpillar as Dhruv points out since he (the caterpillar) Β ate through one piece of chocolate cake, an ice cream, a slice of cheese, a lollipop, a slice of cherry pie and a cupcake along with a few more.

Next was a lesson Dhruv got that if you eat such things, which the caterpillar had on Saturday, all at one time you are likely to end up with a stomach ache just like the caterpillar.

On Sunday, the caterpillar ate through a nice green leaf and he felt much better.

After eating for the whole week, the tiny caterpillar became a big, fat caterpillar and he wove a coccon around himself. Staying inside for two weeks he pushed his way out out and he changed into a beautiful butterfly.

IMG_1120

No longer tiny

9780140569322L_003

The transformation

Dhruv is not all amused to see the beautiful butterfly spreading its colourful patterned wings on the last page for he is concerned about the caterpillar. He gives out a sad cry each time (its all his dramatization) saying ‘Where is my caterpillar, my tiny caterpillar?’

The learning from this book has been the names and the sequence of the days of the week and we practiced counting. It is fun for Dhruv pretending his finger to be the caterpillar and passing it through the holes in the book in the pictures of various foods which the caterpillar created while eating them.

TMC_childrensbookreview_Theveryhungrycaterpillar_content

Our Learnings

I do not remember if a caterpillar has been a lovable living being ever prior to this lovely book.

A must read for toddlers and pre-schoolers.

Image source: Google.

Linking this post to Write Tribe Pro Blogger Challenge

39 thoughts on “The Very Hungry Catterpillar

1. pallavi81 says:

Anamika! I was to look for a butterfly today as per second experiment of E2 and guess what, I found it here on your blog! It works, buddy!

Ofcourse, it was an awesome read on how to teach kids basic stuff by making them interesting

Great πŸ™‚ E2 is working. I will have to seriously think about searching it in the house and take it up for reading next.
      Dhruv and I love reading and these reading sessions are meant for fun while the learning just happens on its own. There are no deliberate attempts to teach anything this way. To teach is to push and pushing may not necessarily result in learning. I hope you will agree.

Thanks Vidya for dropping by. You know what I got introduced to this magical world of children books through my son. I love his books more than mine and I read more of children books than those meant for adults. πŸ™‚

Thanks Vinitha. I am sure Kanna would have also read it for a long time. Now being a big boy he has outgrown it. This book is a classic and I would treasure it long after Dhruv outgrows it. :-). By the ways thanks for suggesting to join write tribe.

Thanks Shalini. This book is available as board books and pop up books too.
      I loved reading your poem ‘Missing you’. The emotion is so beautifully expressed, I could even feel the pinch of pain myself.

Its amazing. This book was first published 40 years ago and it has been the widest read book ever since. Your son enjoyed reading it 20 yeas ago and now his children will love it too (when they are born) a few years down the line. This makes it a true classic. πŸ™‚

2. Prasanna Raghavan says:

It’s amazing how the book’s structured, and how you and Druv are able to use it fully. I remember, a few years ago, it was a struggle to get such good books for our children. Remember no internet, and no connection as you are enjoying now. My love to Druv πŸ™‚

Thanks Prasanna ji. I do not feel good addressing you by your first name since you are way too elder than me in age and in wisdom.
      You are right we did not have access to these wonderful books years back. So its an all new magical world of children books for me.

3. Cat Graham says:

I loved reading about your son’s impressions on this book and him missing the caterpillar when it turned into a butterfly. How cute! I got rather nostalgic reading about the book as it was a favourite of my two boys when they were small and now they’re 19 and 21. Sniff. Thanks for the memories!

Thanks for dropping by Cathy and loving the post. While this post gave you memories, you gave me a peek into the future when I will be nostalgic about reading this book when Dhruv grows up and will move away. Hopping on to your about page I found out a similarity between us – being an introvert and the preference for chat and email over a phone call.

4. amommasview says:

I grew up with this book and when my son was little we found a bunch of caterpillars and watched them grow and eat and grow and eat (while reading the book as well) until they finally built the cocoons and then emerged as butterflies. It was such a great thing and it made me love the book even more…

5. ajaybpai says:

How did I miss this post of yours?

I loved the way, you addressed “lil catterpillar”. Is this such an old story! Lovely ! Thanku for sharing. Am sure even Ishaan would love.

Am sure Ishaan would enjoy it definitely. You can buy its board book or cloth book which is appropriate for his age now. Let him nibble the fruits and party menu along with the caterpillar πŸ™‚

6. Charu says:

Hey Anamika! My 2 year old love this book so much that I threw a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed birthday party for her this year. Such a simple book but give so many lessons to these little readers. My girl love to say “But he was till hungry”

A 2 year old saying “But he was still hungry” must be sounding very cute in her toddler language. It is indeed a wonderful book and yet so simple. Thanks for visiting Charu πŸ™‚

7. m88 says:

I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.

I really hope to check out the same high-grade content by you later on as well.
    In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me
    to get my own website now πŸ˜‰

8. Vasantha Vivek says:

Interesting to read, Anamika. I could imagine the lil caterpillar’s life lively. It’s lucky that our kids could find such beautiful books easily for their learning and enjoyment. Thanks for replugging this post today.

9. sunainabhatia says:

I remember reading this book when my son was a toddler and I need to pick it up again for my daughter now. Thanks for sharing this Anamika πŸ™‚. It is a wonderful way to teach about the life cycle of butterfly- fun and learning combined.