A Lean Child makes a Mean Mother

One week on Indian soil….

One week of being with family and meeting relatives…..

One major discovery….

Oh My GOD!!!! Dhruv is so lean!!!!

Kitna kamzor hai (he is so weak) and all the nani-dadi’s melodrama attached with a lean (read: kamzor) child (read: khandan ka chirag).

I am well aware of his picky eating habits, his non-existent relationship with milk and any milk preparations and his persistent usage of the word NO to any request, instruction, order or coaxing for tasting anything new. I have connived all sorts of plots for pushing veggies and dals down his system employing the means of thinly chopping, grating, shredding and pureeing into his chapatis, rice meals and pastas.

1350591749695_7822193

But all these attempts never showed up any visible traces of muscles adding to my little boy.  And then I settled myself with the thought that I have an active child with a high metabolism rate.

Did I realise that all this peace pact will only last till the time I have nobody to show me the real picture for I had stayed all alone far away from my extended family?

Cut to the present.

Nobody seems to understand the concept of metabolism. However, I do understand the reason of their ignorance which is rooted in our culture, which is about ‘hatte-katte bachhe hote hain achhe’ (fatter looking children are good and healthy). This cultural paradigm was  duly supported by the lab experiment in which Dhruv slipped twice within a 15 minute duration thus putting a seal on his frailty and an end to meta-seta-zeta-bolism.

Since none of my attempts of providing explanations worked, I considered better to acknowledge that yes he is weak. My acknowledgement further strengthened their urge to offer key weight management consultancy. Even my Presswali had tips for me as how to drain milk down his throat straight into his tummy. I now wonder if she is a fan of Aamir Khan too for the perfect demo she rendered about the procedure transported me into the flashback 20 years ago when how we used to forcibly open the mouth of our sick pet dog to push down medicines inside him. Thanks but sorry I could accept only the ironed clothes but not the well-meant advice because I had money to offer in return of her service.

images

Another form of dadi-nani love is to let the lean and the weak and the frail child eat whatever he likes in whatever proportions he likes for the fact that he does not eat much. ‘Whatever he likes’ could range from chocolate biscuits and chips to cashews and raisins to sweets and laddus.

toddler-picky-eating

I have to feel lucky that nobody noticed or had the courage to bring into my notice the expansion I have gone through by all the overall pounds addition linking it to Dhruv’s lean frame and holding me guilty of stealing and eating away his food.

What am I thinking here? Off course nobody would be thinking that way. A lean child doesn’t make a mean mother.

Protected by Copyscape Original Content Checker

9 thoughts on “A Lean Child makes a Mean Mother

1. pallavi81 says:

Hahaha

Please stop stealing Dhruv’s food and let him have it too
    Mean mamma!

Often these lean kids go on to put on unwanted pounds when they grow up…so if tomorrow is likely to be screwed, it’s better to leave them today enjoying multiple benefits of a lean physique

Lean physique or having those unwanted pounds……these are the two ends between which we all oscillate. When one is lean or thin, she would want to add some pounds and when one is not so lean or like us, she would want to shed some. If someone has a photograph of her childhood depicting a lean frame atleast she can be happy thinking ‘chalo, hum bhi kabhi patle hote the’.

I have the same problem here. My child doesn’t like to sit down and eat food. When we were in India everyone kept talking about his “not eating” habits. The more grandparents forced, the more grandchild stayed away from food. I follow a “eat if you would like, leave it otherwise” policy. As long as kids are active it is all good. Once they grow little more they will eat better, I am sure.. 🙂

The force part is the big deal. Its true the more we force or create an issue about, more so the issue gets blown out of proportion. The idea should be to stay normal but then parenting in India is more about the food part than anything else, atleast for the mothers.
      I am still waiting to read that post of yours on which we exchanged mails.

• Vinitha says:

You are right Anamika, parenting in India is more about making child eat and getting him fat than anything else.. 🙂
        You know , I have written about it many times, at least 4 times, but still not able to put it elegantly. I mean because the matter is so persistent and I have already made my views clear to my family members, I want to be gentle when I write.. truth to be told I am not getting right words.. 🙂 I hope to find right words soon.. 🙂

3. tinyardbird says:

In the beginning I kept being really concious about my sons eating habits until I decided that I wanted dinner time to be fun and a good experience for both of us. Not a battle with a “winner” or “loser”, because let’s face it, in this case there are none! Block (nickname) eats when he’s hungry and if he doesn’t eat, he is just not hungry enough. He has an intense energy level and really (like me) has got a high metabolism. Not all children need to be big and fat. (It took me a bit to realise this and I do have my days……) 🙂

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts with me. It feels great to know that there is a mom who is on the same page as me. There is no point in making a battle out of meals and emerging as a winner or loser, how true. Being happy and active is what is most important.
      By the way, I visited your blog and am just curious to know the language in which you write.

• tinyardbird says:

I have a blog in both Danish and English – the English one is notamaturemum.wordpress.com and public, the other one is mainly pictures etc. for my family back in Denmark 🙂